You won’t want to miss these best Sugar Cookie Recipes for all times and seasons! No one can resist their soft, pillowy texture and everyone will want to join in the fun of decorating! Just make sure to make a double batch because these will be gone in minutes!
Fresh, baked sugar cookies are my favorite! The soft buttery texture and creamy frosting are a perfect treat that everyone can enjoy. That is why we’ve gathered the very BEST SUGAR COOKIE RECIPES ever here for you. Be sure to pin this to save it!
Tips to making perfect sugar cookies every time:
- Sugar cookie dough is sticky, but once it’s sufficiently chilled, it’s much more workable. Resist the urge to add more flour to the dough before chilling! If you add too much flour, the ratio of wet to dry ingredients is off and the cookies end up drier and more crumbly.
- Do not melt the butter! The butter needs to be softened (at room temperature), but using melted butter will ruin the cookies.
- Spend a little extra time when you mix the butter and sugars. Creaming them together for 2-3 minutes will improve the consistency of your cookies.
- Preheat the oven. This will help your cookies turn out right every time!
- Use a cookie scoop! If you want all your cookies to be perfectly shaped and have them all be the same size, a cookie scoop is the way to go.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Doing this will make it really easy to remove the cookies from your cookie sheet so that you don’t have to scrape them off the pan – they will just slide right off in perfect shape!
- Make sure not to over-bake your cookies. They may not even look totally done on the tops, but if the bottoms start to brown, I take mine out and they are perfect!
Can you use salted butter for sugar cookies?
You can absolutely use salted butter for sugar cookies! I’m a big fan of using what you have and I only buy salted butter. Some people aren’t fans of salted butter because they want complete control over how much salt is in the recipe. I’m one of those people who constantly has to add salt to everything though, so I like there to be enough! When making cookies, I feel like the cookies taste better when they have a good salt to sweet ratio. I’ve served my sugar cookies to many, many people and no one has ever complained about there being too much salt!
Super Soft Sugar Cookies are the best sugar cookies ever! Made with classic ingredients, this sugar cookie recipe has great texture and flavor. This is the last sugar cookie recipe you’ll ever need! Amazing recipe for sugar cookie frosting included. See the Soft Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Super Soft Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together sugar and butter for 2-3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla and sour cream.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, beat until smooth.
- Chill dough for several hours.
- Roll and cut with shaped cutters. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- Cool and frost as you'd like!
Sugar Cookie Frosting
- After the cookies are cooled, decorate them however you want! This frosting recipe is very basic, yet it is one of my favorites!
- Beat butter until smooth. Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add additional milk a little at a time if thinner consistency is desired.
Frosted Strawberry Cookies made by adding fresh strawberries to a simple sugar cookie dough. No rolling out or chilling necessary! Just bake and top with my amazing strawberry buttercream frosting. Easy Strawberry Cookies piped with a super simple pink rose, so they taste incredible and they’re pretty too! See the Frosted Strawberry Cookies recipe here!
Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies are classic sugar cookies with the addition of buttermilk for an extra soft, pillowy texture. It’s a family favorite frosted sugar cookie recipe that you’ve got to try! See the Buttermilk Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Fun Patriotic Cookie Bars made with swirled red, white & blue icing making them perfectly festive! Easy sugar cookie bar recipe for 4th of July & Memorial Day. See the Swirled Patriotic Cookie Bars recipe here!
Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies made by adding fresh lemon juice and zest to a simple sugar cookie dough. No rolling out or chilling necessary! Just bake and top with a bright lemon buttercream frosting. Easy Lemon Cookies piped with a super simple rosette so they taste incredible and they’re pretty too! My all-time favorite Sugar Cookie recipe! See the Frosted Lemon Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Maple Donut Cookies are soft & pillowy donut-shaped cookies with a lovely maple glaze topping. Everything you love about maple donuts, only in cookie form! See the Maple Donut Cookies recipe here!
Halloween Cobweb Cookies are spectacularly spooky and completely delicious! Sugar cookies topped with chocolate & vanilla icing- no coloring! Quick & easy spider web design made in seconds. Perfect Halloween treats! See the Halloween Cobweb Cookies recipe here!
Watermelon Sugar Cookies made easy with sugar cookies, my favorite buttercream frosting and chocolate sprinkles. Perfect for summertime picnics when you can’t get enough of watermelon in any form! See the Watermelon Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Under the Sea Cookies are soft sugar cookies topped with a fun ocean scene complete with gummy fish & sharks, chocolate rocks and a brown sugar ocean floor! Perfect for celebrating summer at the sea! See the Under The Sea Cookies recipe here!
Marshmallow Flower Cookies are easy to make and perfect for Spring baking! Everyone loves these cute treats topped with marshmallow flowers with a jelly bean stem, in a chocolate pot! See the Marshmallow Flower Cookies recipe here!
Swig Sugar Cookies are buttery, soft and somewhere in between a sugar cookie and shortbread, with a little bit of delicious frosting on top! See the Copycat “Swig” Sugar Cookies recipe here!
These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies are soft and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness — they’re perfect with or without frosting and make a great freezer-friendly holiday cookie! See Grandma’s Sour Cream Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Delicious Sugar Cookies with the addition of fun and colorful sprinkles is such a great and kid approved way to make cookies! See the Rainbow Funfetti Cutout Cookie recipe here!
These white velvet sugar cookies just might be the softest, most delicious sugar cookies you’ll ever meet thanks to the secret ingredient that makes them unique and perfect! See the White Velvet Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Frosted Peppermint Cookies are soft, pillowy cookies baked with peppermint candy and topped with peppermint vanilla buttercream and candy cane pieces. See the Frosted Peppermint Cookies recipe here!
Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups are festive Christmas cookies! Sugar cookie cups filled with fudge, mini marshmallows & sprinkles. Love the candy cane handle! Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups are sugar cookies perfect for the holidays. See the Hot Chocolate Cookie Cups recipe here!
Christmas Sugar Cookies are a necessary holiday tradition at our house! This simple sugar cookie recipe produces soft, chewy and delicious cut-out cookies that can be decorated with a simple 4-ingredient buttercream frosting. See the Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe here!
Christmas Sugar Cookie Bites are a bite-sized version of classic Christmas sugar cookies with buttercream frosting. So yummy and so easy to make! Plus when they are bite sized you can eat more, right?? See the Christmas Sugar Cookie Bites recipe here!
These Christmas Swirl Sugar Cookies are delicious and although they look rather impressive, they are actually really simple! They make a great alternative to frosting dozens of sugar cookies for a large group! See the Christmas Swirl Sugar Cookies recipe here!
Spread the holiday cheer with these Gingerbread Sugar Cookie Bars. These soft and chewy spiced cookie bars topped with smooth cream cheese frosting are divine! See the Gingerbread Sugar Cookie Bars recipe here!
Cinnamon Rolls and Cookies are a big part of our holiday season, so it makes perfect sense to combine the two into a delicious cookie with that perfect glaze drizzled on top! See the Cinnamon Roll Cookies recipe here!
These Cookie Sheet Sugar Cookie Bars are the perfect treat to make for parties and large gatherings! Bake enough delicious dough for a group and decorate them to fit your party’s theme! See the Cookie Sheet Sugar Cookie Bars recipe here!
Donut Sugar Cookies are everything you love about your favorite sugar cookie recipe with the addition of a fun donut look! Decorate these with kids or decorate them ahead of time for a party! See the Donut Sugar Cookies recipe here!
All of the usual delicious sugar cookie ingredients with the addition of cocoa will step up your sugar cookie game! Now you can have chocolate and regular sugar cookies to decorate and enjoy! See the Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe here!
These Copycat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies are better than the store bought version! They are soft, pillowy, and everything you want in a homemade cookie! See the Copycat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies recipe here!
The holidays can get so busy, so here are some ways to save time making your Sugar Cookies:
- Mix the dough and frosting beforehand, then store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator until ready to use. This is an easy way to speed up the process when making cookies with kids. I usually make the dough and frosting the night before, then, the next day, when the kids are ready to make Christmas cookies, it’s a faster process.
- You can scoop dough balls out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then freeze until ready to use! When baking, just add 1 to 2 minutes to compensate for frozen dough, unless you’re able to thaw them out prior to baking.