Cherry Chocolate Cookies are soft, chewy and full of cherries! There is chocolate pudding mix in these cookies which gives them the perfect flavor and consistency every time.
I absolutely love chocolate and cherries together and have experimented with this flavor combination many times. My Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies are some of my favorite cookies ever! I decided that I wanted more chocolate this time though, so I used one of my favorite chocolate cookie recipes and just added some cherries. The results were just as yummy as I had hoped!
This chocolate cookie recipe is one of my favorites because it has pudding mix in it. I have made lots of cookies with vanilla pudding mix in them and the pudding makes the cookies really soft and chewy and I love the consistency of pudding cookies. A while ago, I decided to try making cookies with chocolate pudding mix and it made such a difference in the chocolate cookies I had been making!
Tips for amazing Cherry Chocolate Cookies
- Make sure that you have enough flour in the dough. If the dough is too sticky, you may need to add a little bit of flour. (This especially applies to this recipe because you are adding fruit. As long as your cherries are well-drained and patted with a paper towel, there shouldn’t be too much extra moisture, but if you find that your first batch of cookies are spreading more than you prefer, just add a few more tablespoons of flour to the dough before baking the rest.)
- Do not melt the butter! The butter needs to be softened (at room temperature), but using melted butter will ruin the cookies.
- Spend a little extra time when you mix the butter and sugars. Creaming them together for 2-3 minutes will improve the consistency of your cookies.
- Preheat the oven. This will help your cookies turn out right every time!
- Use a cookie scoop! If you want all your cookies to be perfectly shaped and have them all be the same size, a cookie scoop is the way to go.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Doing this will make it really easy to remove the cookies from your cookie sheet so that you don’t have to scrape them off the pan – they will just slide right off in perfect shape!
- Don’t overbake the cookies – when I take mine out of the oven, they still look slightly underbaked but they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet for a couple more minutes so that’s ok!
Ingredients in Cherry Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 (3.9 oz) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 12 oz jar maraschino cherries, chopped and dried with paper towel
How to make Cherry Chocolate Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 2 minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Add the dry pudding mix, cocoa powder, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix well. Stir in the cherries.
- Use a cookie scoop and place cookies about 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat).
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes at 350°.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
How do you soften butter to room temperature?
The best way to soften butter is to set it out for a few hours before you make your cookies. Since most of us (or maybe just me!) aren’t that prepared or don’t think that far in advance, there are a few tricks to softening butter perfectly in just a matter of minutes. My favorite way to soften butter is in the microwave. It’s definitely fast, but you do have to be very careful not to melt it. Just put the whole stick of butter in the microwave (as long as it isn’t wrapped in foil!) and microwave for about 6-7 seconds. If the butter is still really cold, try another 5-7 seconds and check it again. You may need a few intervals, and if the butter is starting to feel soft, you can shorten the final interval to just a few seconds to make sure it doesn’t start melting.
actually prefer to use the defrost setting on my microwave – I don’t know exactly what that mode does differently, and it takes a little bit longer (closer to 30 seconds), but it seems to be easier to get the butter to soften without melting.
Love cherries? So do we! Here are some of our other favorite cherry cookie recipes!
- Cherry Pie Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Cherry Cheesecake Cookies
Cherry Chocolate Cookies are made with chocolate pudding mix and lots of cherries! Perfectly soft and chewy chocolate cookies with lots of chocolate and cherry flavor!
Can’t believe this little one is 7 months old! She LOVES food. She’s my 5th child, so I have some experience with babies and while my other kids were relatively good eaters, this one is by far way more interested in food. She eats anything and everything and can consume very large quantities of food. Her current favorites are bananas, blueberries and avocado, but I haven’t found anything she won’t eat. I know that probably won’t last forever, but I’m really enjoying having a child who loves everything I feed her and never complains about what we are eating for dinner!
Cherries and Chocolate belong together! I may or may not be sharing these with my family!
Thank you, Beth!
The pudding is such a great mix-in for texture and I loooooove me some chocolate and cherries! Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you, Jen!
Terrific instructions. The pudding mix and cocoal give them a strong chocolate taste and the maraschino cherries are the “icing on the cake” – so to speak!
Glad you like them! Thank you, Beth!
These are so good and my kids love them too!
Thank you, Ashley!
We LOVE cherries in our house so these were just perfect. I had to hide them in the end as the kids (and my big kid aka partner) just kept coming into the kitchen and stealing one!!!
So delicious and easy to make
Glad you like them! Thank you, Claire!
My kids devoured these cookies…wondering if they freeze well so I can make a double batch next time….
The texture on these cookies is just right! They’re chewy and perfectly chocolate-y. Everyone loved them!
Thank you, Christine!
Kate Hackworthy says
These cookies look great! I adore chocolate and cherries together.
Thank you, Kate!
Delicious! Will be adding to my Christmas cookie trays!
Thank you, Allison!
Sophie Heath says
These cherry chocolate cookies are my kids favorite! They’re super easy to make and I loved how easy they were to make. Can’t wait to try more recipes of yours!
Thank you, Sophie!
We loved them! The softness of the cookie and the flavors of chocolate and cherry are amazing!
Thank you, Suzy!
These cookies are so yummy! I will be making a double batch to share next time!
Thank you, Wilhelmina!
Easy and so delicious! I will definitely make these again.
Thank you, Ashley!