Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies are thick and chewy, complete with a cherry in middle and a delicious fudge topping on top!
I absolutely love the flavor combination of chocolate and cherries and this recipe is the perfect blend of these two. The cookies are thick and fudgy – almost like brownies. And the fudge topping on the top? It’s absolutely decadent – and you only need three basic ingredients to make it. I love that the frosting includes a little bit of almond extract which adds to the cherry flavor of the cookies.
If you enjoy the chocolate and cherry combination as much as I do, you might want to try our Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies also!
Some tips for making the best Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies:
- Make sure your butter is softened, NOT melted! One of the most common errors in cookie making is using butter that is either really cold and hard, or using butter that is too warm and melted. If you have time, just leave butter out on the counter for about 1-2 hours before making your cookies. If you are like me and don’t plan your cookie cravings that far in advance, just place the butter in your microwave and soften in 5 second intervals, being very careful to pull it out before it melts. I actually like to use the defrost setting on my microwave to soften butter- I don’t know the technical reasons behind it, but it seems to soften the butter more evenly and takes a little bit longer so I’m less likely to start melting it!
- Preheat the oven. This will help your cookies turn out right every time!
- Use a cookie scoop! If you want all your cookies to be perfectly shaped and have them all be the same size, a cookie scoop is the way to go.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Doing this will make it really easy to remove the cookies from your cookie sheet so that you don’t have to scrape them off the pan – they will just slide right off in perfect shape!
- Don’t over bake the cookies – when I take mine out of the oven, they still look slightly under baked but they will continue to bake on the cookie sheet for a couple more minutes so that’s ok!
What ingredients are in Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies?
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 12 oz jar maraschino cherries (drained and cut in half)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
How do you make Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies?
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour mixture and shape into 1-inch balls. Press a thumb-sized indentation into each ball and then place a cherry half into the center. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350. Cool.
- Over low heat, melt chocolate chips and mix in the sweetened condensed milk and almond extract. Once combined, continue stirring over low heat for about 3-4 minutes until mixture is thickened. Using a spoon, frost each cookie, covering the cherry. Enjoy!
After you try our Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies try a few of our other delicious fruity cookie recipes:
- Blackberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Raspberry Meltaway Cookies
- Blueberry Cream Cookies
- Cherry Cheesecake Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
- Fresh Strawberries Cookie Cups
Last year, we started a new tradition in our family. We told the kids that when they turned 12, we would take them on a trip. They get to pick the trip (within certain limits!) and they get to go with just Mom and Dad by themselves. P is our second daughter and will be turning 12 in just a few weeks. She has been a huge Harry Potter fan for years and she finally got to go to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in Orlando – we had such a fun time together! Even in the rain!