Cranberry Macadamia Nut Cookies is a delightful, festive cookie that combines tart cranberries, sweet white chocolate & crunchy macadamia nuts!
These white chocolate macadamia cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a holiday gathering, a potluck, or just a sweet snack to enjoy at home.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting out, cranberry orange cookies are a fun and easy recipe to try. With a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, anyone can create these delicious macadamia nut cookies in no time.
History of Cranberry Macadamia Cookies
Cranberry Macadamia Cookies have a relatively short history compared to other types of cookies. These cookies first appeared in the late 20th century and quickly became a favorite among cookie lovers. The combination of tart cranberries and rich macadamia nuts provides a unique flavor profile that sets these cookies apart from others. It is believed that the first Cranberry Macadamia Cookies were made by a home baker in the United States who was experimenting with different cookie recipes.
Despite their relatively short history, Cranberry Macadamia Cookies have become a staple in the world of cookies and are enjoyed by people of all ages. Their unique flavor and texture make them a favorite for special occasions and everyday snacking alike.
Why You Will Love This Cranberry Cookie Recipe
- Perfect balance of sweetness and tartness: The cranberries add a tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of the cookie dough. The macadamia nuts add a nutty crunch that rounds out the flavor profile.
- Easy to make: This recipe is simple and straightforward, making it a great option for beginner bakers. With just a few basic ingredients and some mixing, you can have delicious cookies in no time.
- Versatile: These cookies are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a sweet snack or need to bring something to a potluck, Cranberry Macadamia Cookies are sure to impress.
Ingredients for Cranberry Macadamia Nut Cookies
Cranberries: You will need 1 ½ cups of dried cranberries to give these cookies an amazing chewy chunk in every bite.
Orange juice: Soaking the dried cranberries in a ½ cup of orange juice will rehydrate them to make a perfect addition to this cookie recipe.
Flour: Use 3 cups of flour for the structural base of this cookie dough recipe.
Brown sugar: Add in 1 ½ cups of brown sugar for a wonderful depth of flavor in this sweet treat.
White chocolate chips: You need 1 cup of white chocolate chips for a smooth, sweet chocolatey taste to these cookies.
Macadamia nuts: For a great crunchy texture in these cookies, use 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts.
Baking powder: To help these cookies rise nicely as they bake, use 1 ½ TBSP of baking powder.
Salt: Balance all the great tastes by adding in ½ tsp. of salt.
Egg: Give these treats incredible texture and taste by using 1 large egg.
Buttermilk: You will need 1 cup of buttermilk to create perfectly tender, soft cookies.
Butter: Add in ⅔ cups of butter, melted, to give the cookies amazing rich flavor.
Orange zest: Using 1 TBSP of fresh orange zest will give these cookies a subtle citrus taste that is simply heavenly.
How to make Cranberry Macadamia Cookies
Begin by combining the dried cranberries and orange juice in a small bowl. Let them stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally then drain and set aside.
Once that step is complete, get the oven preheating to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, white chocolate chips, chopped macadamia nuts, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir, then make a well in the center.
Next, in a separate small bowl, beat the remaining 4 ingredients (egg, buttermilk, melted butter and orange zest) with whisk and then pour into well create. Also add in the soaked cranberries and stir all ingredients until just combined.
Continue to use a medium cookie scoop to portion about 1 ½ TBSP of cookie dough, about 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden. Let the baked cookies stand on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Serve and enjoy!
Pairing Suggestions for Cranberry Orange Cookies
Cranberry Macadamia Cookies are a versatile treat that can be paired with a variety of beverages and desserts. Here are a few suggestions to enhance your enjoyment of these delicious cookies:
Hot Beverages: Cranberry Macadamia Cookies pair well with hot beverages such as coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. The sweetness of the cookies complements the bitterness of the coffee and tea, while the nuttiness of the macadamia nuts adds depth to the flavor. For a special treat, try dipping the cookies in your hot beverage for a few seconds before taking a bite.
Cold Beverages: These cookies also go well with cold beverages such as milk, iced tea, and lemonade. The tartness of the cranberries and the sweetness of the cookies balance out the flavors of the beverages, making for a refreshing and satisfying combination.
Desserts: Cranberry Macadamia Cookies can be used as an ingredient in other desserts, such as ice cream, cheesecake, and trifle. The cookies provide a crunchy texture and a burst of flavor that complements the creaminess of the desserts. They can also be crumbled and used as a topping for fruit salads or yogurt.
How to store Macadamia Nut Cookies?
When it comes to storing Cranberry Macadamia Cookies, it is essential to ensure that they remain fresh and delicious for as long as possible. Here are some tips on how to store cookies properly:
- Room Temperature: If you plan to consume the cookies within a few days, storing them at room temperature is the best option. Place the cookies in an airtight container or a plastic bag and store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Refrigerator: If you want to store the cookies for an extended period, you can keep them in the refrigerator. Place the cookies in an airtight container or a plastic bag and store them in the fridge for up to two weeks. However, be aware that refrigeration can cause the cookies to become hard.
- Store away from other foods: It is important to note that storing cookies with other foods can cause them to absorb odors and flavors, which can affect their taste and quality. Therefore, it is best to store cookies separately from other foods.
Can I freeze these Cranberry Cookies?
Good news, these Cranberry Macadamia Cookies can be frozen for up to three months without compromising their taste or texture. Here are a few tips to ensure that your cookies freeze well:
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before freezing them. This will prevent them from becoming soggy when they thaw.
- Wrap each cookie individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This will prevent them from sticking together and help maintain their freshness.
- Place the wrapped cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label the container with the date so that you know when they were frozen.
- When you’re ready to eat the cookies, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours. Alternatively, you can microwave them for a few seconds to warm them up.
Why did my cookies spread?
If your cookies spread too much while baking, it was most likely a direct result of the dough being too warm. If it’s hot in the kitchen or your butter is too soft, your dough will become warm fairly quickly. You can fix this easily by just popping the dough into the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour or so before you continue to bake the cookies as directed.
How do I zest an orange?
The easiest way to zest an orange is to use a citrus zester. By rubbing the peel of a washed orange along the grated edges we get tiny shredded pieces perfect for your baked goods and recipes. If you do not have a citrus zester you can use a vegetable peeler to remove the outermost layer of peel (not the white part under the colored peel). Then chop the peel into very tiny pieces, like minced garlic, and use as desired.
Love cookies with fruit? Try more amazing recipes here!
- Blueberry Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Pie Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Pudding Cookies
- Strawberries & Cream Berries
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Banana Cream Cookies
- Best Fruit Pizza Cookies
- Lemon Curd Cookies
- Raspberry White Chocolate Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Scookies
Cranberry Macadamia Cookies a wonderful dessert that combines the taste of cranberries with the amazing crunch of macadamia nuts. Bring these white chocolate macadamia cookies to your next holiday gathering, potluck, or cookie exchange.