Simple recipe for Easy Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies made with a chocolate cake mix! Soft, perfectly sweet, mint chocolate sandwich cookies that everyone is sure to go crazy over!
Making this Oreo cookie recipe is so simple thanks to the boxed cake mix and easy cream cheese frosting! Whip up a batch and enjoy these tasty Oreos homemade anytime you’d like!
Oreos made AT HOME!
Having Oreo’s in our house is a family must-have, we all agree on this classic and delicious treat. I personally love to eat them frozen, but the rest of my family like them stored in the pantry at room temperature. Either way, they are a treasured and loved dessert with my kids and I. I like to think my love for this cookie was passed down from my grandpa, they are his favorite too and are still his go-to after dinner dessert.
Of course, as an avid baker and lover of all baked goods, it was my mission to create a homemade Oreo cookie recipe. It had to be a very simple recipe, that required minimal effort. These cookies are small and snackable, they needed to be as easy to make as they are to eat. Give this easy homemade Oreo cookie recipe a try and see for yourself how delightful they are!
Why you’ll love these homemade Oreos
- Basic ingredients. We use very basic kitchen staple ingredients to make these cookies, like eggs, oil, butter, and powder sugar. It is likely that you already have most of the ingredients needed for this recipe already in your home.
- So simple to make! To whip up a batch of these homemade Oreos is so easy! Seriously, we even use a boxed cake mix for the cookie dough to simplify the process.
- Homemade. Mint. Oreos. I mean really, what more needs to be said? These small bites of deliciousness speak for themselves.
Mint Oreo Ingredients
Cake mix: To make these homemade Oreos easily, you need one 15.25-oz box of chocolate cake mix. Any brand will work, whatever you have on hand, or your favorite is.
Eggs: Add in 2 eggs, room temperature, to help bind the cookie dough together well.
Oil: Using ½ cup of vegetable oil will give the dough wonderful moisture and texture.
Cream Cheese Filling
Butter: You need ¼ cup of butter, softened to room temperature, to create a nice rich frosting.
Cream cheese: Use 4 oz of cream cheese, softened to room temperature, to make the filling perfectly creamy and delicious.
Vanilla extract: To enhance the amazing flavors in this frosting, add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
Mint extract: Adding in ½ tsp of mint extract gives these cookies amazing flavor!
Powder sugar: You will need 2 cups of powdered sugar to make the frosting sweet and tasty
Food coloring: To make the filing a festive green shade, add in 2-3 drops of green food coloring.
How to make Easy Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies
Begin by preheating the oven to 350℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and set aside.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, oil and eggs thoroughly.
Proceed to cover and chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. This is an optional step, but it helps to keep the cookies from spreading too much while baking.
Once chilled, use a small cookie scoop or a spoon to drop 1 tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheets. Make sure to space them a few inches apart to leave room for the cookies to spread.
Proceed to bake in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes. Then allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Mint Cream Cheese Frosting
While the cookies bake, prepare the frosting. In a medium size mixing bowl, using an electric handheld mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Next, add the vanilla and mint extracts and mix until well combined. Then add in the green food color until you reached your desired shade.
After that, add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, and mix again until all the sugar has been added and the frosting is nice and smooth.
Once the cookies have cooled, you can use a piping bag or an icing spatula and put the icing on the bottom of a cookie. Then grab another cookie to place on top and you have a cookie sandwich! Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
A few tips and tricks to making better cookies every time!
- Use an Electric Mixer for Even Mixing. It’s worth it to use an electric mixer! You can use a handheld one or a stand mixer; I prefer a stand mixer but use what you have on hand.
- Cream the Butter & Sugars for Longer. Spend a little extra time when you mix the butter and sugars. Creaming them together for 2-3 minutes will improve the consistency of your cookies.
- Preheat the oven. This will help your cookies turn out right every time!
- Cookie Scoops for Perfect Cookies. Use a cookie scoop! If you want all your cookies to be perfectly shaped and have them all be the same size, a cookie scoop is the way to go.
- Make Sure your Cookies don’t Stick to the Pan!
- Take them out of the oven Earlier. Make sure not to overbake your cookies. They may not even look totally done on the tops, but if the bottoms start to brown, I take mine out and they are perfect!
HOW DO YOU SOFTEN BUTTER?
I like to soften butter by using the defrost function on my microwave. If you need the full 1/2 cup cube of butter, you can leave it in the paper wrapper, otherwise, place the amount of butter you need in a glass or porcelain bowl. I use the lowest defrost setting on my microwave and just let it run for 20 seconds. Check the butter and see how soft it is by pressing it with a rubber scraper. If it is still not soft to the touch, meaning it doesn’t indent when you press into it, let it warm for another 5-10 seconds. Watch it closely! Butter softens very quickly.
HOW LONG ARE THESE HOMEMADE COOKIES GOOD FOR?
These cookies will be good for 3-5 days, if stored properly. To keep your treats as fresh as possible they should be kept in an airtight container or a ziplocked bag. A trick I learned to keep them extra fresh and soft is to put a piece of bread in with the cookies. The cookies absorb the moisture from the bread and stay soft and chewy a couple of days longer. Try it, you will be amazed!
Need more amazing cookie recipes? Try some of these!
These easy Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies are made with a boxed chocolate cake mix and cream cheese filling! Enjoy these mint chocolate sandwich cookies that everyone is sure to love!