Chocolate Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies are a delicious treat that combines the rich flavor of chocolate with the sweetness of strawberries. These jam thumbprint cookies are packed with delicious flavor in every bite, they are sure to become a new favorite.
These chocolate thumbprint cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a holiday party, cookie exchange or a simple afternoon snack. This recipe for thumbprint cookies is easy to make and can be customized to suit you and your families taste!
Chocolate Ganache Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies are a modern twist on the classic thumbprint cookie. The cookie was named “thumbprint” because bakers would use their thumb to create an indentation in the dough for the jam filling.
These cookies are perfect for those who love the combination of chocolate and fruit. The sweetness of the strawberry jam perfectly complements the rich flavor of the chocolate ganache. They are also a great option for those who are looking for a quick and easy dessert that can be made with ingredients that are readily available in most kitchens.
Why you’ll love this Easy Thumbprint Cookie recipe!
- Simple ingredients. There are no “fancy” ingredients needed for this cookie recipe. We keep it simple with ingredients such as flour, eggs, chocolate chips, and jam. This means you most likely have ingredients on hand already and should have no trouble locating the ingredients you will need to buy.
- Delicious Flavors: The combination of chocolate and strawberries is a classic pairing that never gets old. These cookies have a rich buttery flavor, a decadent fudge filling, topped with strawberry jam that adds a burst of fruity goodness to each bite.
- Versatile: While this recipe calls for strawberry jam, you can easily switch it up and use your favorite jam or jelly instead. Raspberry, blueberry, or even apricot jam would all be delicious in these cookies.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies Ingredients
Butter: You will need 1 cup (2 sticks) of room temperature butter to make these cookies rich in taste.
Sugar: Adding in ⅔ cup of granulated sugar sweet and chewy cookies.
Eggs: 2 egg yolks will help bind the dough together and create great cookie texture.
Vanilla extract: Use 1 tsp. of vanilla extract to enhance the flavors in the cookie dough.
Flour: The base of the cookie dough is 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
Salt: Using ½ teaspoon of salt will help bring out all the wonderful flavors in the cookie recipe.
Chocolate chips: For extra deliciousness, you will want to use 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Condensed milk: Add one 14-ounce sized can of sweetened condensed milk to make the fudge topping thick and sweet.
Almond extract: Use ½ tsp. of almond extract to give the fudge a nice subtle taste.
Jam: You will need strawberry jam for filling in these cookies, the total amount needed will vary. Grab a 12-ounce jar and that should be enough for this recipe.
How to make Chocolate Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
Get this cookie recipe started by getting the oven preheated to 375 degrees F.
Then, line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats and set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer on medium-high speed. Continue for about 2-3 minutes until the butter mixture is light and fluffy.
Next, mix in the egg yolks and the vanilla extract until combined.
Then, add in the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
If desired you can chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes, but you can skip this step and head straight to baking them.
Proceed to scoop the dough into 1-inch-sized balls and roll them with your hands so that they are perfectly round.
Then arrange the cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
Before baking, use a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon to create a circular crater in the center of the cookie dough.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven to bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
Remove them from the oven and if the indents look shallow, press the measuring spoon to further define them again.
While the cookies are cooling, prepare the fudge by melting the chocolate chips, condensed milk, and almond extract in a small pot over low heat, until it is completely melted.
Continue stirring the chocolate over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
Now, spoon about 1 teaspoon of fudge onto each cookie. Let cool until set for about 5 minutes.
Take a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon again and slightly press an indent into the chocolate.
Then, fill the indent with strawberry jam over the chocolate fudge topping.
Serve cookies immediately and enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions for Thumbprint Cookies
There are countless variations and substitutions that can be made to the classic Chocolate Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies recipe to suit individual preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are a few ideas to inspire creativity in the kitchen:
- Chocolate Variations: For those who prefer a more intense chocolate flavor, consider using dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Alternatively, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the cookie dough for a richer chocolate taste.
- Filling Options: While the classic strawberry jam filling is delicious, there are many other options to try. Raspberry, blueberry, or apricot jam would all work well. For a more decadent filling, try using Nutella or caramel sauce.
- Gluten-Free Options: To make these cookies gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Be sure to check that all other ingredients, such as the baking powder and vanilla extract, are also gluten-free.
- Vegan Options: To make these cookies vegan, substitute the butter with a plant-based alternative, such as coconut oil or margarine. Use vegan chocolate chips and make sure the jam or filling is also vegan-friendly.
What are the best ways to store thumbprint cookies?
To store thumbprint cookies, place them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, place the cookies in the freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Allow the cookies to thaw at room temperature before serving.
Can you freeze chocolate thumbprint cookies?
These cookies freeze very well. To do this place the cookies onto a baking sheet after they have been assembled and then freeze for 3 hours until solid. Then transfer to an airtight container with parchment paper-lined between the layers to prevent sticking. When you want a cookie, let it thaw and come to room temperature before serving.
How can I prevent my thumbprint cookies from spreading?
To prevent thumbprint cookies from spreading, it is important to chill the dough before baking. This will help the cookies hold their shape and prevent them from spreading too much. Additionally, make sure to use a sturdy baking sheet and not to overcrowd it. Leaving enough space between the cookies will allow for proper air circulation and prevent them from spreading.
What are some tips for making perfect thumbprint cookies?
One tip for making perfect thumbprint cookies is to use room temperature ingredients. This will help the dough come together more easily and prevent overmixing. Additionally, make sure to use a small cookie scoop or spoon to create uniform cookie dough balls. Finally, when making the thumbprint indentation, use the back of a round measuring spoon to create a consistent size and shape.
Common mistakes to avoid when making thumbprint cookies
One common mistake when making thumbprint cookies is overbaking them. It is important to keep a close eye on the cookies and remove them from the oven as soon as they are lightly golden brown. Another mistake is not properly chilling the dough before baking, which can cause the cookies to spread too much. Finally, make sure to use the correct amount of flour and not to overmix the dough, as this can make the cookies tough.
I don’t sing praises for my hubby as often as I should! Here he is on Father’s Day being celebrated. 2 weeks later, for his birthday, the kids and I made this VERY elaborate scavenger hunt with all of his presents. I videoed the whole thing! It took about 25 minutes to get through it and he opened his gifts throughout. It was SO FUN! We love and appreciate him so much!
Here are some more great thumbprint cookies to try:
- CHEESECAKE COOKIES
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- SWEETHEART VALENTINE THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- LEMON THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- GRINCH THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- CARAMEL THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- STRAWBERRY THUMBPRINT COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY THUMBPRINT COOKIES
Chocolate Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies are a soft, sweet and heavenly treat! Made with a soft chocolate cookie, filled with chocolate fudge and strawberry jam these thumb print cookies are a fabulous dessert.