Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles are your favorite snickerdoodle cookies with the addition of a sweet vanilla swirl on top! A fun variation on a Snickerdoodle recipe for anyone who loves Cinnamon Rolls!
Snickerdoodle cookies are a huge favorite at our house! I tweaked my best recipe just slightly and made this cinnamon roll version and everyone went crazy. They’re SO delicious!
Tips to get the PERFECT Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodle Cookies:
Three kitchen items make these cookies come together really fast. I actually use these items in nearly every cookie recipe I make, so they’re quite versatile. First, I line my cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper. They’re sold in sizes that fit a 12×16 cookie sheet perfectly and enable to cookies to bake well without sticking- and no mess from spraying oil on the cookie sheets!
The second item is a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine! I have a Bosch as well but I find I use my KitchenAid for cookies. There is a cookie paddle that comes with every mixer that you attach to the top of the mixer. They’re easy to use and help you mix the ingredients uniformly. I also use the metal whisk attachment in this recipe to make the frosting. It whips it up super fast! Add this to your wish list because it’s one of my all-time used small appliances ever!
The third item is a cookie scoop! Years and years ago I used to use 2 spoons to measure and scrape cookie dough onto the pans. It wasn’t a perfect process and I often ended up with oblong cookies in various sizes. A friend of mine brought cookies to a party and I noticed each and every one of her cookies looked PERFECT. Her secret? A cookie scoop! They come in three sizes- 1/2 tablespoon, 1.5 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon scoops. I used the middle size- 1.5 tablespoon for these cookies. (Although when I’m serving a large crowd, I use the small cookie scoop. People love having a smaller cookie, especially at an event with several other desserts.)
Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cinnamon-sugar mixture (3 TBSP sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon)
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded scoops into balls.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture, then spoon cinnamon-sugar mixture over each cookie, turning once and doing the same on the other side. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 8 minutes exactly! Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheets for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whisk all ingredients for vanilla swirl together in a small bowl. Let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bag and snip the corner. Pipe glaze onto completely cooled cookies in the shape of a swirl.
If you like our Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles, try a few of our other favorite snickerdoodle recipes:
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
- Caramel Apple Snickerdoodles
- Peach Snickerdoodles
Last year my husband and I made the decision to spend more on travel and less on “stuff.” This isn’t easy! Not only is travel with our family of 7 hard, but most, if not all of the little people in the photo above really like their stuff. Ha! Nevertheless, we press forward. We recently took a trip to Zions National Park and had a wonderful time. We took this picture on the last day. Notice 6 out of 7 are smiling and the last one really wants to smile. I consider that a success for the last day of a family vacation!