Best Snickerdoodle Recipe made with classic ingredients that yield soft, chewy cookies with that lovely cinnamon sugar taste we enjoy! Perfect Snickerdoodle cookies that everyone craves!
Be sure to check out our updated collection of BEST CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPES here!
Make these cinnamon sugar cookies easily, using basic pantry ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time. It is never a wrong time for sugar cookies, with this snickerdoodle recipe you can whip up a batch of these tasty treats!
Easy Snickerdoodle Recipe for AMAZING cookies
My oldest son adores Snickerdoodles so much, I tend to make them often. I have used the same recipe for years, I believe in the moto “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. It is such an easy cookie recipe and my kids love spooning the sugar over the dough to help with the process. I adore the simple flavor of Snickerdoodle cookies, so really, everyone wins! Give this recipe a try today, have your kids help out and enjoy these simply delightful cookies.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE CINNAMON SUGAR COOKIES
- Simple ingredients. This cookie recipe is made with basic ingredients like flour, eggs, sugar and butter. You may have most, if not all, of the ingredients needed to make these cookies already in your home.
- Easy to make! These incredibly delicious cookies are as easy to make as they are to eat. The dough comes together fast and they bake for under 10 minutes. Give these a try, see for yourself how easy it is to whip up a batch of these sweet treats.
- Only 10 ingredients. With only minimal ingredients, this is a great dessert to make on a whim. The chances are high that you have most or all of the required ingredients already in your home.
Ingredients for the BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies
Butter: You need ½ cup of butter, softened , to make these cookies wonderfully rich in flavor.
Shortening: Add in ½ cup of shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco) to make these cookies soft and moist.
Sugar: To make each cookie perfectly chewy and sweet, use 1 ½ cups of sugar.
Eggs: You will want to add in 2 eggs to this cookie dough to give them great taste and texture too.
Vanilla extract: Help enhance all the great flavors by using 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
Flour: The structural base of this cookie recipe is 2 ¾ cups of flour + 2 tablespoons.
Cream of tartar: Adding in 2 tsp of cream of tartar will help make these cookies nice and tender.
Baking soda: Use 1 teaspoon of baking soda to help the cookies rise as they bake.
Salt: Balance the flavors in this dough by adding in ½ teaspoon of salt.
Cinnamon-sugar: For the sweet coating that makes these cookies amazing, use a mixture of 3 tablespoons of sugar + 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
How to make the BEST Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat, set aside.
Also, get the sugar & cinnamon coating ready. Combine the 3 tbsp of sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon in a small bowl, whisk with a fork to combine well.
Next, in a large bowl, cream together the softened butter, shortening, 1 ½ cups sugar, the eggs and vanilla extract. After that, mix in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
Proceed to shape the dough, by rounded spoonful’s, into balls. Continue to roll each ball of dough in sugar/cinnamon mixture, then spoon the mixture over each cookie, turning once and doing the same on the other side. Place the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes exactly. Remove them from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips to make the PERFECT Snickerdoodle cookies:
Three kitchen items make these cookies come together quickly and easily. I actually use these items in nearly every cookie recipe I make, so they’re quite versatile.
- First, I line my cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper. They’re sold in sizes that fit a 12×16 cookie sheet perfectly and enable to cookies to bake well without sticking- and no mess from spraying oil on the cookie sheets! Parchment is especially useful for this recipe as the dough is quite soft. It makes clean up a breeze!
- The second item is a KitchenAid mixer. I love mine! I have a Bosch as well but I find I use my KitchenAid for cookies. There is a cookie paddle that comes with every mixer that you attach to the top of the mixer. They’re easy to use and help you mix the ingredients uniformly. I also use the metal whisk attachment in this recipe to make the frosting. It whips it up super fast! Add this to your wish list because it’s one of my all-time used small appliances ever!
- The third item is a cookie scoop! Years and years ago I used to use 2 spoons to measure and scrape cookie dough onto the pans. It wasn’t a perfect process and I often ended up with oblong cookies in various sizes. A friend of mine brought cookies to a party and I noticed each and every one of her cookies looked PERFECT. Her secret? A cookie scoop! They come in three sizes- 1/2 tablespoon, 1.5 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon scoops. I used the middle size- 1.5 tablespoon for these, and most other cookies. (Although when I’m serving a large crowd, I use the small cookie scoop. People love having a smaller cookie, especially at an event with several other desserts.)
Do you have to have Cream of Tartar for Snickerdoodles?
Cream of Tartar is one of the ingredients that gives Snickerdoodles its distinct flavor & texture. It makes it so that these cookies don’t just taste like sugar cookies with a cinnamon sugar coating. The flavor is unique and fairly difficult to replicate. Nevertheless, if you’re out and don’t want to run to the store, you can substitute baking powder instead, being as baking powder actually contains Cream of Tartar!
How long are these frosted cookies good for?
These cookies can be kept stored in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days. To keep the cookies nice and chewy I recommend keeping them stored in the fridge.
Try a few of our other favorite snickerdoodle recipes:
- Caramel Apple Snickerdoodles
- Peach Snickerdoodles
- Cinnamon Roll Snickerdoodles
- Snickerdoodle Apple Pie Cookie Cups
Love sugar cookies? Try more amazing recipes here:
- CREAM CHEESE SUGAR COOKIES
- FROSTED BROWN SUGAR COOKIES
- SOUR CREAM SUGAR COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- SUGAR COOKIE BARS
- MINI SUGAR COOKIE BITES
- JELLO SUGAR COOKIES
- BLUEBERRY SUGAR COOKIES
- LIME SUGAR COOKIES
There’s something magical about visiting the ocean with your kids. I’m going to be honest, it’s nowhere near as serene as visiting the ocean without kids, but still, there’s something incredible about it. Here my husband is helping my youngest daughter spot the colorful fish swimming right around the rocks on the shoreline. Don’t miss the sleeping sea lion in the foreground! This was a very small, very popular beach with lots of fun things to see.
Do you like visiting the beach with your family? Where’s your favorite beach?
Try this Best Snickerdoodle Recipe to create the amazing traditional snickerdoodle cookies we all know and love! Tender & sweet, the snickerdoodle cookie dough has great cinnamon flavor and the traditional texture too!