Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies are everything you love about chocolate chip cookies, with the buttery, nutty addition of walnuts! This delicious walnut cookies recipe is made with flour, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, toasted walnuts, and chocolate chips.
The toasted nuts and chocolate chips creates a perfect balance of flavors in these walnut chocolate chip cookies. With this simple recipe, these walnut cookies are a great option for anyone looking to try something new in the world of baking.
Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies have become a much loved treat in my family, we’ve tried many different recipes, but this one is our absolute favorite. Some other recipes call for the walnuts to be finely chopped and mixed into the dough, while others call for larger chunks of walnuts to be folded into the dough. We found a happy medium with chopped walnuts mixed into the dough and find it simply heavenly! The toasted walnuts add a delightful crunch and earthy flavor to the cookies, making them more satisfying.
Why You’ll Love This Walnut Cookie Recipe
- Rich chocolate flavor: The chocolate chips in these cookies are melted to perfection, which gives them a rich and decadent flavor.
- Versatile: These cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a midday snack, a dessert, or a party treat. They can be stored for up to a week and still taste amazing.
- Easy to make: This recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, making it perfect for beginners or anyone who wants to whip up some cookies quickly.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Ingredients
Flour: Use 2 cups of flour for the structural base of these delightful treats.
Cornstarch: For perfectly thick and tender cookies, add in 2 tsp of cornstarch.
Baking soda: Adding 1 tsp of baking soda will help these cookies puff up nicely as they bake.
Salt: Balance the incredible flavors by using ½ tsp of salt.
Butter: You will need ¾ cup of butter, room temperature, to make wonderfully rich cookies.
White sugar: Using ½ cup of white sugar makes these cookies chewy and sweet.
Brown sugar: Add ¾ cup of brown sugar for an amazing depth of flavor in the dough.
Egg: Help bind the ingredients together by adding 1 egg to the cookie dough.
Vanilla extract: You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract to balance the incredible flavors.
Walnuts: For a nice crunch, add in ½ cup of chopped walnuts.
Chocolate chips: Using 1 ¼ cups of chocolate chips will make sure each bite is filled with chocolatey goodness.
How to make Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a small skillet, over medium heat, toasts the walnuts for 10-12 min, stirring them often. Then transfer them to a plate to cool while making the cookie dough.
Also, preheat the oven to 350° and then line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir and then set the mixture aside.
Next, in a separate large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and both the white and brown sugar. Then beat in the egg and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
After that, add in the toasted walnuts and chocolate chips to the dough and mix well.
Proceed to roll 1.5 TBSP of dough into balls (or use a medium sized cookie scoop!) and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
Place the baking sheets in the preheated oven and bake for 9-11 minutes. Let them cool 1-2 minutes before removing and transferring to a cooling rack.
Serve cookies warm and enjoy!
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies Varitations
Gluten-Free Version: For those who are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease, it can be difficult to find tasty baked goods that are safe to eat. However, with the following substitutions, these toasted walnut chocolate chip cookies can be made gluten-free:
- Use gluten-free all-purpose flour or a blend of gluten-free flours.
- Substitute the regular oats with certified gluten-free oats.
Vegan Version: For those who follow a vegan diet, omitting eggs and butter can be a challenge when it comes to baking. However, with a few simple substitutions, these toasted walnut chocolate chip cookies can easily be made vegan-friendly. Here are some suggestions:
- Replace the butter with vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Instead of using eggs, use a flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) or applesauce.
- Use vegan chocolate chips or chop up a vegan chocolate bar into chunks.
- Substitute the honey with maple syrup or agave nectar.
How to store Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Room Temperature: If you plan on eating your cookies within a few days, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Make sure the container is sealed tightly to prevent air and moisture from getting in. Cookies stored at room temperature will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
- Refrigerator: If you want your cookies to last longer, you can store them in the refrigerator. Place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store them in the fridge. Cookies stored in the refrigerator can last up to 2 weeks.
- Freezer: If you want to store your cookies for an extended period of time, you can freeze them. Wrap each cookie individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Cookies stored in the freezer can last up to 3 months.
- Thawing: When you are ready to eat your frozen cookies, simply remove them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can heat them up in the microwave for a few seconds to make them warm and gooey again.
What are some ways to make toasted walnut cookies healthier?
If you want to make your toasted walnut chocolate chip cookies healthier, you can do a number of things. Replace the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. You can also reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe. Another great option to make these cookies healthier is to replace some of the butter with mashed bananas or applesauce. These are all great ways to enjoy a delicious and healthy dessert!
Tips for making easy toasted walnut chocolate chip cookies?
Here are some tips for making easy toasted walnut chocolate chip cookies:
- Use room temperature ingredients to ensure that the dough mixes evenly.
- Toast the walnuts beforehand to bring out their flavor.
- Use high-quality chocolate chips for the best taste.
- Chill the dough before baking to prevent the cookies from spreading too much.
What are some ways to make cookies fluffy instead of flat?
If you want your chocolate chip cookies to be fluffy instead of flat, try using cake flour instead of all purpose flour. You can also add an extra egg yolk to the dough. Another way to make cookies fluffy is to make sure you do not overmix the dough, mix it just until the ingredients are combined. All these are great ways to create fluffy and tasty treats!
How can I make my chocolate chip cookies chewy?
If you prefer chewy chocolate chip cookies, there are a few things you could do to ensure their chewiness. Try using more brown sugar than white sugar, it will alter the taste slightly but will still be amazing. Another trick is to melt the butter instead of just softening it. The simplest and most effective way to make your cookies chewy, do not over bake them. Take them out of the oven when they are still slightly underdone.
Try more of our favorite Chocolate Chip recipes here:
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies have a deliciously chewy texture and rich flavor. This delicious walnut cookies recipe are a great option for anyone looking to try something new in the world of baking.