Grandma’s Peanut Butter Cookies are a delicious and easy-to-make treat that is sure to make you feel nostalgic! To make this easy peanut butter cookies recipe, all you need is a few simple ingredients: peanut butter, flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and baking soda.
These chewy peanut butter cookies are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family gathering, a potluck, or just a sweet snack for yourself. Old fashioned peanut butter cookies the perfect balance of sweet and salty, with a rich peanut butter flavor that will leave you wanting more.
The BEST Peanut Butter Cookies
This classic recipe for Grandma’s Peanut Butter Cookies creates a delightful treat that can satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. These cookies are a perfect combination of flavors and textures, making them a popular choice for your family and friends. We have tons of peanut butter cookie recipes on this site but none of them are quite like this. This is a recipe you’ll want to keep close by for years to come!
Why you’ll love this easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Simple ingredients. This recipe uses basic pantry staple ingredients such as butter, peanut butter, sugars, flour, and eggs. You may even find that you have most if not all of the ingredients to make this recipe on hand already.
- Easy to follow steps. Peanut butter cookies are really easy to mix together and shape. Your biggest tools will be an electric mixer and fork. The best part? There’s no dough chilling required!
- Soft and Chewy Texture: These cookies are soft and chewy, with a slightly crispy edge. The texture is perfect, making them a crowd-pleaser for all ages.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookie Ingredients
Butter: You will need ½ cup of butter for this recipe, this is equal to one stick.
Shortening: Use ½ cup of shortening to get a lovely dough texture and a cookie that really holds its shape while baking.
Peanut butter: It wouldn’t be a peanut butter cookie without 1 cup of creamy (or chunky) peanut butter.
Sugars: To make these cookies chewy and sweet you will need 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of brown sugar. Note that you will need an additional 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar for the tops of the cookies.
Eggs: Help bind the ingredients together by adding in 2 eggs to this cookie dough.
Flour: 2 cups of all-purpose flour will be the base of this cookie recipe.
Baking soda: You need 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make the cookies puff up as they bake.
Salt: Use ½ teaspoon of salt to enhance the flavors in the cookies well.
How to Make Grandma’s Peanut Butter Cookies
To start, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Then, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and peanut butter for 2 minutes using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Next, add in the white and brown sugar and mix for an additional 2 minutes to combine.
After that, add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Then gradually add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture while mixing well between additions.
Scoop and shape
Proceed to drop the dough by the rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
Then wet a fork and dip it in the 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
Make a crisscross hash mark over the top of the balls of dough, re-wetting it and dipping it in sugar before pressing down on every cookie.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 13-14 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making Soft Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Here are a few helpful tips to make sure that you get the best results every time.
- Use real butter and not margarine. Butter holds up much better when baking and will help to keep your cookies from spreading.
- Butter flavored shortening adds flavor. While using plain shortening is perfectly fine, butter-flavored really helps to enhance the flavors a bit.
- Don’t use fancy peanut butters. I recommend sticking with classics like Jiff and Skippy (or store brand similar products). The fancier nut butters usually have a higher oil amount which keeps the cookies from turning out correctly.
How long are Grandma’s peanut butter cookies good for?
These cookies if properly stored in an airtight container can last up to a week at room temperature. I recommend enjoying them within 2 or 3 days for the best tasting results.
Can I freeze this peanut butter cookies recipe?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I recommend allowing the cookies to cool completely before stacking them into a said container with sheets of parchment paper between the cookies. Thaw them at room temperature before eating. Enjoy.
What are some variations of this classic PB cookie recipe?
Some popular variations of the classic peanut butter cookie recipe include adding different types of nuts, such as almonds or pecans. Some recipes also include adding chocolate chips or candies to add texture and flavor.
Can I make peanut butter cookie dough in advance?
Yes, this cookie dough can be made in advance and be kept covered and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking. This will give you plenty of time to make them before a party or event if you want fresh cookies to be served. Just make sure to allow the cookie dough to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before scooping, shaping, and baking.
Fun with Dad and funny photo filters! BAHAHAHAHA! Oh yes, that’s the man I married. LOL!
Try more delicious peanut butter cookie recipes here:
- TRAIL MIX PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE BARS
- PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL M&M COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER M&M COOKIES
- SNICKERS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- BEST MONSTER COOKIES
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE CUPS
- FIVE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
- RICE KRISPIE CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE IN A MUG
- APPLE PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- CHEWY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Grandma’s Peanut Butter Cookies are a soft, flavorful and classic treat you are sure to love. Make this easy peanut butter cookies recipe using basic ingredients that you will most likely find are in your kitchen already!